Forums Community Strengh of password

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Nick Bouden

Hello , I used axcrypt to encrypt some files that are in a pc that cannot access anymore and I am not sure if the password is strong enough to protect my files for viewing. Is there any way to change it online or at least can you tell me if a not so strong password  with axcrypt can let people viewing my data?

thanks

#10700 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Nick,

Since really changing the password is the same as changing the encryption, which means changing the encrypted files that operation must by definition be done on the files themselves. It can’t be done remotely.

If the password is weak, then it may indeed be possible to brute-force (i.e. guess) the password. It all depends on how weak the password is and how determined the attacker is.

When you use AxCrypt 2, it is actually quite hard to set a really weak password, since we require a minimum strength. For AxCrypt 1, no such check is made so there you can have the password “1” for example, or “Password”, or “qwerty” etc. That’s highly unlikely with AxCrypt 2.

If you password is either shorter than or equal to 4 or 5 characters in length, or is on the list of the most common passwords used then it’s very likely that a reasonably determined or even highly curious attacker will be able to guess it.

#10701 Reply

Nick

if the password is 8 characters combination of capitals non capital letters and numbers is it sufficient? I encrypted with axcrypt 2

#10705 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Nick,

If the password is something else than a word, essentially 8 more or less random letters and digits it will probably stand up agains most private attackers, but probably not against an attacker with a national budget such as a security agency or federal police if they are *really* determined.

AxCrypt 2 does ensure you don’t have too easy passwords, but of course it’s not fool proof, it can be “tricked” as well.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Strengh of password
Your information: