Forums Bugs & issues Temp files on Mac

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Prabhukumar R 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Rikki

I notice that on my Mac that files that have been decrypted and then closed, remain unencrypted in the ‘macintosh HD/users/[username]/.local/share/AXCrypt/[random directory names]

Is this by design as this seems to work against what AXCrypt does. These files don’t appear to remain on Windows operating systems. Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

#12790 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Rikki,

Are you sure about this – that the temporary files remain even after the red broom icon is cleared or AxCrypt is exited? AxCrypt does indeed temporarily decrypt the files to the location in question, and then open them from there. Once you are done, or exit AxCrypt, they will be overwritten and deleted (after re-encryption if required). This is at least how it is designed to work.

#14121 Reply

Fra

Hi everybody,

as per Rikki..

I’m sorry to notice that, after cleared and closed Axcrypt app (on MAC), files remain decrypted and freely accessible on Macintosh HD⁩ ▸ ⁨User ▸ ⁨[user1] ▸ ⁨.local⁩ ▸ ⁨share⁩…

please help me to let me understand how it is possible and how to procede..

#14123 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Fra,

AxCrypt works by decrypting files temporarily and then launching the appropriate application for the decrypted file, which thus is entirely unaware of AxCrypt. AxCrypt monitors the system for the launched app to exit, and when it detects this it will re-encrypt the file and wipe(overwrite) the decrypted file and then delete it.

AxCrypt will create a random temporary folder under the specified path to keep the decrypted copy of the encrypted file. The location(C:\Users\’user name’\ ⁨.local⁩ ▸ ⁨share…) is for the temporary decrypted copies of the files. Those will either be cleaned automatically at the earliest opportunity or when you click the red clean “broom” icon in AxCrypt.

Note: The temporary files will be removed as soon as the opened encrypted file closed/signed out from the AxCrypt app

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Temp files on Mac
Your information: