Forums Help & support Unencrypted files in folder

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Nik 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Dirk

Maybe I’m overlooking something…but AxCrypt doesn’t seem very secure here but probably I have some setting wrong (?) For some reason AxCrypt is saving many unencrypted versions of files that have been encrypted before in this folder: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\AxCrypt.  I keep deleting these files after closing AxCrypt. Also the public key is stored there and other account information.

Does anyone knwo why this is happening?

#8627 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Dirk,

The location is for the temporary decrypted copies of the files. They will either be cleaned automatically at the earliest opportunity, or when you click the red clean “broom” icon in AxCrypt.

AxCrypt works by decrypting files temporarily and then launching the appropriate application for the decrypted file, which thus is entirely unaware of AxCrypt. AxCrypt monitors the system for the launched app to exit, and when it detects this it will re-encrypt the file and wipe (overwrite) the decrypted file and then delete it.

The public key is, well… public. So it’s no secret. It, and other configuration information is stored in some files in that location as well. None of the other information stored there is secret or sensitive in the sense that all that is in those files is apparent in the local system anyway, such as paths to recently used encrypted files. That information is used to populate the recent files list for example, and to keep track of files in need of re-encryption.

So, if you just let AxCrypt “do it’s thing”, the files you are seeing will be cleaned up when you’re done with them. Of course, do ensure you’re using the latest version of AxCrypt. We’re continually improving it, which includes optimizing such things as re-encryption.

#8634 Reply

Dirk

Hello Svante,

You indicate that files are re-encrypted after exiting AxCrypt: “AxCrypt monitors the system for the launched app to exit, and when it detects this it will re-encrypt the file and wipe (overwrite) the decrypted file and then delete it.”

However I see multiple unencrypted files in the folder: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\AxCrypt. I see these files when the app is closed (not launched) or after exiting the app. Is that normal behavior? Are these files automatically cleaned after a while?

Kind regards,

Dirk

#8635 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Dirk,

Depending on the app, the temporaries are cleaned when you close the document or when you fully exit the app. With exiting the app we mean really exiting the app completely – not just closing the document in this case. Notably Microsoft Office programs behave in this way. There may also be some issues with some Windows 10 store apps that do not exit even when you request them too, for example the image previewer does this sometimes.

If you are still having problems, please contact our support and include a screen shot of the AxCrypt main window when you have left-over files, as well as the files mentioned in step 2 here: https://forum.axcrypt.net/blog/send-complete-error-report/ . (We do not at this point need the event log mentioned in step 3).

#8821 Reply

Nik

But what is the purpose of the software, when the user doesn’t even know that this is happening? I found several sensible data unencrypted on my drive that were there for weeks.

#8824 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hell Nik,

The intention is that a bright red light-bulb with a tool tip in the  main window shall alert you to this.

#8825 Reply

Dirk

I see Nik has the same problem as me. Yesterday I sent an e-mail to support with screenshots and configuration files.

But today I see I was using an old version of AxCrypt (of Jan. 2017). I had not noticed AxCrypt had been updated. Maybe the problem of the left over files has already been solved in the new version?

#8834 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Dirk,

Please try the updated version, and also ensure that you understand the function of the “Clean” red broom button.

#8958 Reply

Nik

Thanks for the answers I will monitor the behavior and let you know.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Unencrypted files in folder
Your information: