Forums Help & support Unencrypted files

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Prabhukumar R 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Matt

Hi ~ just recently I found 39 files that should have been encrypted but were not.  These files were in the User – AppData- Local – Axcrypt folder on Window 10 PC and some files were as old as two years. I tried to use the broom feature but it didn’t work so I’m guessing that’s a premium feature and my account is just standard.  Also I signed out and quit the app then went back into the folder and still found all 39 files unencrypted.  I would like to clear out this folder and keep it cleared out but don’t want to corrupt any of my files outside of this folder. The exposed files are sensitive so I’m hoping you can help.  Thanks.

#17128 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Matt,

AxCrypt will keep track on the opened encrypted files, to update and re-encrypt the same. If we opened the file and updated the contents, then AxCrypt will re-encrypt the updated file.

The location(C:\Users\’user name’\AppData\Local\AxCrypt) is for the temporary decrypted copies of the files. Those will either be cleaned automatically at the earliest opportunity or when you click the red clean “broom” icon in AxCrypt.

AxCrypt works by decrypting files temporarily and then launching the appropriate application for the decrypted file, which thus is entirely unaware of AxCrypt. AxCrypt monitors the system for the launched app to exit, and when it detects this it will re-encrypt the file and wipe (overwrite) the decrypted file and then delete it.

Note: The temporary files will be removed as soon as the opened encrypted file closed/signed out from the AxCrypt app

If you have updated the contents of the encrypted files and which is pending for re-encryption, then please check the folder(C:\Users\”User Name”\AppData\Local\AxCrypt)If you found any subfolders inside the AxCrypt folder take a back up of those folders, please clean the local cache by the below-described way.

Please try to clear the AxCrypt local contents by clicking the Reset button in the sign in dialog or via the AxCrypt file menu File | Options | Clear All Settings & Restart.

still, If you are facing any issues, please write to Support@axcrypt.net. we are happy to help you.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Unencrypted files
Your information: