Forums Help & support Using Axccrypt with Google drive

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Naim Kazi 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Alex Haddow

Hi,
    I see many references to using Axcrypt to encrypt files stored on Google drive but am having difficulty finding a detailed explanation of how this is done. I am an existing Premium user but, so far, the shared files are all on a private PC accessed by using TeamViewer. I am looking to stop using TeamViewer and to use Google drive insted. My users share a single Axcrypt password to open up the files. I want a work process where our files will be encrypted before being saved to Google drive. Any help or a poiter to the correct article of video would be greatly appreciated.
    Alex

#10904 Reply

Azhaguraja B
    Keymaster

Hello Alex,

You can use AxCrypt to secure your files which are all stored in your Google Drive.

AxCrypt Cloud Storage Awareness is really just about detecting installed cloud services, creating a “My AxCrypt” folder and then designating the created folder as ‘Secured’. However, the feature is really useful only when the folder is Secured, i.e. monitored for new files to encrypt.

So sync your google drive files in your local or some where else and encrypt those files using the AxCrypt app.

You can able to encrypt your folder contents by just drag and drop the folder to the Secured Folders area from the Axcrypt app.

or Right click on the Secured Folders area and choosing Add Secured Folder option from the context menu.

You can also use our AxCrypt Key Sharing feature to share the encrypted file with someone. For key sharing : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z3KOZD-Yks .

Please check out our video tutorials at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoSoXBjq6iCG5232fHoWStA to get started with AxCrypt.

#10928 Reply

Anonymous

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I think my question wasn’t clear enough. I would like each person sharing the files to be able to access them on Google drive. There are 4 files that get worked on, no new files get added. Each user can edit the files. I dont really want folk moving files between local and Google drives. I suspect that when Axcrypt decrypts a file for a user to work on, an unencrypted file is created on the fly which then gets re-encrypted once the edit is complete and the file gets saved. Is it possible using settings to make sure that the temporary unencrypted file is created on the user’s local PC so that it is never on Google drive in clear? Thanks again for your help.

#10931 Reply

Alec

My users share a single Axcrypt password to open up the files.

You cannot use AxCrypt like this unless you’re happy sharing the single master password with everybody.

Is it possible using settings to make sure that the temporary unencrypted file is created on the user’s local PC so that it is never on Google drive in clear? 

You would need to write a script yourself to achieve this. It’s not something that AxCrypt supports.

You might want to ask Google to introduce an option to upload only specific user-designated file extensions (e.g. .AXX). This would solve your problem.

#10933 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Anonymous an Alec,

Concerning “Is it possible using settings to make sure that the temporary unencrypted file is created on the user’s local PC so that it is never on Google drive in clear?“: This is exactly how AxCrypt works. It never decrypts any file in the original location (and it doesn’t work directly with Google Drive either, it only works on the local hard drive synchronized/streamed copy). It always decrypts the file temporarily to a local temporary folder, and then re-encrypts it to the original location.

In the case of synchronized/streamed cloud service folders, the plain text file can only hit the remote cloud server if the file is created there in plain text. And then only if the time window between creation and initial encryption is long enough.  To be 100% safe – always encrypt a new file before actually making it available for sharing via a cloud service provider. Once it’s encrypted, it’ll never be decrypted so the cloud service provider sees it, unless of course you actually decrypt it in place. But just opening the file via AxCrypt is 100% safe in this regard.

#10937 Reply

Alex Haddow

Hi Svante, thanks very much for your feedback. That answers my query perfectly.

#11688 Reply

Nick

Hello Everyone!

Here’s hoping collective genius will help me out from my predicament.

I’m running Win 10. And I use Axcrypt for encryption.

Somehow I have managed to encrypt all the folders in my Google Drive. I wish to Decrypt most of them and store only a few folders in encryption.

What is the most time efficient manner to do this? I would like to be able to decrypt the whole Folder/Drive with one stroke.

When I right-click on a folder or file I do not get the option for Axcrypt.

Can one store Folders/Files in Google Drive in plain text? Visible at all times and able to open them without “Downloading”.?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers!

Nick

#11692 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Nick,

If you’ve encrypted them all, they should be synchronized to your local hard drive. You can select files and folders from Windows Explorer, and if you have an active Premium subscription there is an option to “Include Subfolders and files”.

You need to right-click the files on your local PC, you can’t do it from the browser.

#11734 Reply

Nick

Thanks, Svante for your input. I am traveling just now and will attempt your suggestion when settled and let you know.

Cheers!

#11736 Reply

Naim Kazi

Hello Svante,

Thanks for your help. I am traveling just now and will try it out when settled.

Cheers!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Using Axccrypt with Google drive
Your information: