Forums Bugs & issues Version conflicts: Attempt to open file with V2 corrupts file for V1

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Julius 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Julius

Hey everyone,

I haven’t found this bug described anywhere in the forums. It appears that if a file is encrypted with AxCrypt 1.7.3180, only attempting to open this file with AxCrypt 2 but not decrypting it, corrupts the file for further use with V1. The error message says “Format error –  file either corrupt or too big a version difference”. What I find strange is that the interaction with V2 does not appear to change the file: The “last-edit” date remains the same. Has anyone else experienced this or have a solution to this problem i.e. a fix that allows opening of the files with V1 once more?

Cheers!

#10684 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Julius,

It’s not a bug. When you open a version 1-file with AxCrypt version 2, it will be upgraded to version 2 format unless you disable this function. So the file is not corrupted, it’s just upgraded and thus not recognizable by version 1 software.

You can disable this automatic upgrade.

#10685 Reply

Julius

Hello Svante,

thanks for your reply! I figured as much, that makes sense. The issue at hand is that I am working with a file in a shared folder, which is now inaccessible to everyone using V1 since I attempted to open it directly in the folder. While ideally I would prefer to work with AxCrypt V2 and key sharing, I cannot do so (as of yet) due to corporate standards.

I suppose my follow-up question would be: Since the file itself does not appear to be altered by the upgrade to V2, is there a one-time fix I could use to reverse the upgrade?

Much thanks for taking the time.

#10686 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Julius,

There is no single “downgrade to version 1” command unfortunately.

What you can do is to decrypt them, and then re-encrypt them with version 1 – and change the setting in your version 2 to not automatically upgrade. Version 2 will work fine in version 1 format as well, but not the reverse as you have found out.

#10687 Reply

Julius

That will have to do. Thanks again :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Version conflicts: Attempt to open file with V2 corrupts file for V1
Your information: