Forums Community What if I stop subscribing or AxCrypt goes bust?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Neil

What if I stop paying for a subscription or AxCrypt goes bust? Will I be locked out of my files?

#9249 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Neil,

No worries. We’ll never lock you out of your data due to non-payment in any situation. If AxCrypt goes bust or our servers are unavailable for whatever reason, you can still install and run AxCrypt and decrypt and in most cases work with your files just like normal. Only the Premium features may not be available in this situation – but they are never required to decrypt your files.

Just try disconnecting your Internet connection to verify this.

#10729 Reply

Dee Ach

This is NOT my experience.  I have now tried on multiple times logging in while I am disconnected from the internet or in airplane mode.  I can’t login, and I get a bad password error message.  Then I connect to the internet, and I login without issues.

This is beginning to be a serious red flag for me.

#10730 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Dee,

If you’re getting a “bad password” then it means… that you’re probably not entering the right password!

Normally, the online password will be synchronized with the offline data, so you can sign in with the same password.

However, there are situations where a different password will be used offline than online – namely when you change the password online (either through another system, or via the web), and then try to sign in offline. I can’t see any trace of that in your situation though.

This should work as advertised, so either it’s a bug or there’s some misunderstanding. You are welcome to contact our support via email, and then we can request some further information and see if we can determine where the problem lies.

#10731 Reply

Dee Ach

Thanks, but I am using the correct password.

This system is way to precarious for me.  To suggest that it COULD be possible to have separate passwords…  Synchronization…  Or that there are bugs…  This all sounds a bit half-baked.

I am a normal, laymen computer user, not a programmer.  I am keen to protect my files from third-parties, but I would NEVER put that desire ahead of the need to know that I can access my files in the future, on any device that those files are located (whether it is a laptop, flash stick, or attachment to an email), at any time.

I appreciate, however, your responsiveness.

#10736 Reply

Corey

This system is way to precarious for me.

Use something else then.

This all sounds a bit half-baked.

No, just your understanding of it.

To suggest that it COULD be possible to have separate passwords…  Synchronization

Some people want separate passwords.

#10737 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Dee Arch,

It is kind of fundamental that with a system that can both be online and offline, and be used both locally and via the web there can arise a temporary inconsistency of data. This is no different from any cloud storage provider that offers online access.

1) You create a file in the cloud.
    2) It is synchronized to your device.
    3) You take your device offline,
    4) You use a different device to edit the file via the web.

Now you have the password situation I described, but described in document file terms with any cloud storage provider. It’s just how things must work if you offer both offline synchronized access, and online access via the web.

That we do offer this functionality is just so you can be sure to have easy access to your files regardless of our existance on the web, or the access to the web.

Also, AxCrypt is designed so no internet access whatsoever is required to decrypt your files. All the information required to decrypt a file is in the file – provided you know the password originally used to encrypt it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: What if I stop subscribing or AxCrypt goes bust?
Your information: