Forums Help & support What's happen if I change password ?

This topic contains 34 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Prabhukumar R 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Jacques Pelletier

If I use the version 2 of axcrypt what’s happen if I change password ?

The files with old password will be accessible only with this old password or is it possible to use it with new password ?

Thanks.

#8075 Reply

Peter

Changing a password in AxCrypt 2 means that all your files are accessible using your new password. The explanation for how this works is technically complicated but the encryption is very secure.

• All of your old files can be opened with your old or new password
    • All of your new files can only be opened with your new password
    • Any old file that you modify can only be opened with the new password

The answer is easy:

Your new password can be used for everything once it’s been changed.

Never forget a password with AxCrypt or you’ll lose access to your data.

#8102 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Thank you, Peter! A very good summary of a potentially complicated question to answer.

#8104 Reply

Jacques Pelletier

Thanks for this response.

#10888 Reply

Paul

After changing the password, do I need to export the key pair’s again, or will they remain unchanged?

#10890 Reply

Azhaguraja B
    Keymaster

Hello Paul,

Whenever a file is encrypted, it’s encrypted with a random key. That key, in turn, is encrypted with the user’s password AND with the users public key.

When the user changes the password on the website, the private key is re-encrypted with the new password.

When you change (not reset) your password for your AxCrypt ID account, *all* files previously encrypted with that AxCrypt ID account will automatically open with the new changed password.

When the user then sign-ins on the app with internet enabled, the local encrypted copy of the private key is updated with the new encrypted version from the server.

Thus, the user can actually “change” password for all his/her files.

Note that the file can actually still be opened with the original password, since the file encryption key is encrypted with that also, still (until it’s updated).

For more information about password change and reset, please check out our blog: https://forum.axcrypt.net/blog/password-reset-axcrypt/ .

#14385 Reply

Anonymous

“Changing a password in AxCrypt 2 means that all your files are accessible using your new password. The explanation for how this works is technically complicated but the encryption is very secure.

All of your old files can be opened with your old or new password
    All of your new files can only be opened with your new password
    Any old file that you modify can only be opened with the new password”

I keep all files on main computer and then transfer them ocassionally to computer #2 via flash drive. If a (the) password is changed on computer #2 and a file is modified on computer #2 will the old password still work for the same file on the main computer?

#14386 Reply

Tom Hanson

“Changing a password in AxCrypt 2 means that all your files are accessible using your new password. The explanation for how this works is technically complicated but the encryption is very secure.
    All of your old files can be opened with your old or new password
    All of your new files can only be opened with your new password
    Any old file that you modify can only be opened with the new password”

I keep all files on main computer and then transfer them ocassionally to computer #2 via flash drive. If a (the) password is changed on computer #2 and a file is modified on computer #2 will the old password still work for the same file on the main computer?

#14388 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Tom,

If both the computers are connected with the internet, then you can open/decrypt the encrypted files with both the old and new passwords.

If your main system is not connected with the internet(means offline state), Then still, you can use the old password to sign in and open the encrypted files.

Password change will get detected, once you signed in to the AxCrypt app with internet-enabled.

Still, you can sign in to the AxCrypt app with your old password in your main system – AxCrypt local status. AxCrypt app warns you with local mode warning text to change the app status to local – when you used the old password to sign in.

As explained earlier, We can open the encrypted files with both the passwords.

If the local app cache is not cleared, then you can use the old password to sign in to the AxCrypt app. But you can open the encrypted files with both the old and new passwords.

Also, AxCrypt will work as you said in the quoted text.

#31039 Reply

Max

Hi,

if I change the password, what is the quick way to protect also the previous files (encrypted with the old password) with the new password ?

Thanks

Max

#31043 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Max,

When you change (not reset) your password for your AxCrypt ID account, *all* files previously encrypted with that AxCrypt ID account will automatically open with the new changed password.

Please read more information about password change and reset, please check out our blog: https://www.axcrypt.net/blog/password-reset-and-axcrypt/

If the above doesn’t help, please write a mail to support@axcrypt.net.

#31046 Reply

Max

Hi Prabhukumar,

thank you for your reply. I checked the blog post, but I did not find the answer to this. After changing the password, can the files encrypted with the old password still be opened with the old password ? As the second user was saying.

Is there a way to avoid that ?

Thank you

Max

#31047 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Max,

After changing the password, can the files encrypted with the old password still be opened with the old password ?  — No. After changing the password, old encrypted files will open in the new password.

Note that the file can actually still be opened with the original password, since the file encryption key is encrypted with that also, still (until it’s updated).

When you change (not reset) your password for your AxCrypt ID account, *all* files previously encrypted with that AxCrypt ID account will automatically open with the new changed password.

#31048 Reply

Max

Hi Prabhukumar,

thank you. I only need one clarification please.

“Note that the file can actually still be opened with the original password, since the file encryption key is encrypted with that also, still (until it’s updated).”

How long does it take for the update to happen then?

#31049 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Max,

How long does it take for the update to happen then? -not much time, immediately reflected on your AxCrypt account.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
Reply To: What's happen if I change password ?
Your information: