Forums Help & support Wrong Password?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 6 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Edward

HI all,

I have bene using an older version of Axcrypt for a while but when I re-installed windows I installed the latest version of Axcrypt.

I created a login in as required and used the same password as my encrypted file  for ease of use. All fine, I could open the file no problem.

However, today I get an error message when trying to open the file saying that I have already used this password and to enter the password for the file.

I changed the password for signing into Axcrypt and then tried to open the file but now it tells me the password is incorrect – it isn’t.

I also tried installing an older version of Axcrypt but I got an error message saying that the file is corrupt or to many version different.

I assume that the file has bene automatically upgraded to v2.x and this is why I cant open it with the older version.

Any ideas why it says the password is wrong all of a sudden? How can recover my file?

Many thanks for your help

#6330 Reply

Nick

Try all of your passwords that you’ve used with the file.

AxCrypr 2 has only one password. The first time you go to open an AxCrypt 1 password you’ll be asked for have the old password l. After that the file will be re-encrypted in AxCrypt 2 format.

You’ll get in a terrible mess if you start changing passwords. That’s why AxCrypt 2 uses only one master password.

So to get back into your file try all your passwords (the AxCrypt 1 password, your original AxCrypt 2 password, your changed AxCrypt 2 password and any other password you’ve created).

#6331 Reply

Edward

Thanks for the reply but I am definitely using the right password and ive also tried all my other common ones.

it worked at first, now doesn’t

#6337 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Edward,

It would really help with a screen shot, so we can see exactly where you are stuck. Also, you write that you get a message to the effect of “I have already used this password and to enter the password for the file” – this confuses me because try as I might I can’t recall AxCrypt actually has such a message.

#6338 Reply

Edward

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Re-cap, I had an older version of Axcrpyt, no issues, I installed the latest version, set my Axcrypt password to the same password as the file, no issue until yesterday when it now tells me that I am not allowed the same password twice, see screen shot 1…

..so I thought the only thing I could do was change my Axcrypt password to avoid this issue…did this…signed in again successfully but now it tells me the file password is wrong (cause its not the same as the Axcypt pw) so offers to let me enter the correct PW..so i enter the password….stills says that its wrong..but it is definitely not..tried some other common ones just in case but I am 101% certain of the PW for the file.

Just had a thought, my wife has a separate login when using Axcrypt under her windows login but accesses the same file, could this have screwed it up somehow?

Please help!

#6348 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Edward,

Right, now I understand. The dialog is there because the file password is *not* the same as your sign in password. The tooltip is there to help you realize that it does not make sense to enter the sign in password again, because the whole reason for the file password dialog is that the sign in password does not work.

I’d certainly ask if you wife has opened and modified the file recently, since that will re-encrypt the file with her password. To share a file like that, that’s what we have the key-sharing feature for. Setup up the file to be shared with both of you, and all should work without problems.

#6366 Reply

Edward

Hi again,

Looks like I’ve got as far as I can go, my wife cant remember her password so i’m stuck now.

Thanks for all your help

#6369 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Edward,

Look here https://forum.axcrypt.net/axcrypt-brute-force/ and contact us if you think it’s worth a try.

#7416 Reply

Alain

I too got into similar problem with the UI version. I have been using axCrypt for years (so I know what my password is) and since I have downloaded the ui version, It tells me that my password is wrong.  So all my password gone.  I am trying to rebuild my password list by resetting my pwd everywhere but this time, unfortunately only using a pen and a notebook.

#7419 Reply

John

You can still open your Xecrets passwords through the old website!

Your password for version 2 is different from your old password thus if you know the old password then go to the old website to retrieve your passwords.

#7422 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Alain,

AxCrypt can open any file encrypted with the old version. If you know the password, AxCrypt will open it.

However, looking at your account, we can see that you:

• First downloaded AxCrypt and started creating an account in January. This was subsequently automatically deleted because you never verified it.
    • Then you created your current account in March.
    • In April you did a password *reset*. A password reset will not gain you access to files encrypted with the original password. It is used to access the account again.
    • Once again, in May you performed another password reset.

Most likely, the file in question is encrypted with one of the passwords that was in effect before the most recent password reset in May.

#7448 Reply

Toni

Svante, like the other users above, I have the same problems…

I used AxCrypt for a long time and this new version is just messing up everything…

It says the password of my files is not correct while I have been using the same forever…

Once I enter the DIFFERENT password (than the one protecting my files) which is the one I used to create an account on Axcrypt.net (I’m still on the free version), I apparently doesn’t need anymore any password to decrypt SOME files: I just have to select the option “Decrypt” and it decrypts it without asking any password as it used to do… (Also, when I want to encrypt a file, it doesn’t ask me any password :S )

But for SOME OTHER files, it still asks for a password and still keeps telling me the password is wrong!!!!

What can I do???

#7449 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Toni,

All the users in this threads underlying problem is that they do not know the password. It really is not related to the new version not working. It’s about not knowing which password to use. Sometimes it’s because you’re trying to open a file you haven’t opened in a while, and it’s only now that you realize that the password you thought you used does not work. An easy way to verify this is to re-install the old version. If you’re still getting ‘wrong password’ – then the password is wrong! You can also check the modification time of the file. If the modification time is before you upgraded and you’re now getting ‘wrong password’ – then the password is wrong!

There are many more scenarios, but always if the software says the password is wrong – you should really assume it is! While AxCrypt is far from perfect, no software is, it’s been used in both version 1 and 2 by millions of people for almost 2 decades. So far there is not a single case where a passsword has just stopped working without the file being modified between the last successful attempt and the first failed.

Since we’re all interested in having everything work – you want your files to open, and we want you to be happy and like AxCrypt let’s concentrate our efforts where all evidence points us. Not at the software suddenly stopping to acccept or recognize a previously working password, but at the password itself.

You write:

Once I enter the DIFFERENT password (than the one protecting my files) which is the one I used to create an account on Axcrypt.net (I’m still on the free version), I apparently doesn’t need anymore any password to decrypt SOME files: I just have to select the option “Decrypt” and it decrypts it without asking any password as it used to do… (Also, when I want to encrypt a file, it doesn’t ask me any password :S )

But for SOME OTHER files, it still asks for a password and still keeps telling me the password is wrong!!!!

This describes the situation exactly where you have used different passwords for your files. One of the passwords, which is the one you sign in with to your account, is also used for some of your files. Other files, are encrypted with a different password, and thus AxCrypt will ask for it when you try to open it.

If you examine the modification times of the files, you’ll very likely find that they were encrypted before the upgrade, and you’ll find ‘clusters’ of files with similar times. All in a given cluster will probably either open or not. All indicating that the files were in fact encrypted with different passwords.

This situation is exactly the reason for the changed behavior in AxCrypt 2, where we sign you in and then use that same password for encryption. We now have a verification that the encryption password really is the same as the one you used last time, which reduces the risk of all this immensly.

AxCrypt 2 works just like your email software or most other password-protected systems. You sign in once, and remain signed in until signed out. Just like you can read many emails without entering the password every time, AxCrypt will do the same. The files are still encrypted, but your password is remembered until you sign out of AxCrypt.

#7450 Reply

Toni

Hi again Svante,

Thanks for your detailed answer.

Before I do the same and correct what sounds like misunderstandings… you mentioned “An easy way to verify this is to re-install the old version. If you’re still getting ‘wrong password’ – then the password is wrong!” : I’d like to try that. Where can I download the old version?

#7451 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hi Toni!

You can get it at the old site, http://www.axantum.com/ under downloads.

Do check the file modification times as well, it’s faster and easier then uninstalling / reinstalling and gives a pretty good clue as to the situation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
Reply To: Wrong Password?
Your information: